Saturday, February 27, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Recipe!


I love to cook - the part I don't like is the prep work; the shopping and chopping so to speak and the clean-up. I can't clean-up as I go along like hubby does, I make one giant mess than clean the whole deal up at once. Today I made Beef Bourguignon - I was supposed to make it the other day - had bought all the ingredients and such but just didn't feel like doing to prep work and so it did not get made. I made it today because it is a family favorite and one of those recipes you can double and freeze. If you google Beef Bourguignon you will get a million
plus recipes - the one I use is a combination of my Mom's and with a few elements from Julia Child. My ballerina doesn't eat meat - but loves the gravy from this and so will eat that with noodles. Everyone else in the family can't get enough of it.

Beef Bourguignon (serves 6)

3 lbs. chuck" cut into 1 in squares (I use whatever is on sale - this time I used London Broil cause it was 1.99 per lb.)

4 slices bacon

3 tablespoons brandy

3 dozen small white onions, peeled or you can buy them already peeled in the jar - just pour out the liquid they come in before you add to the pot.

1 pkg mushrooms - I use chopped but whole is fine too

3 teaspoons tomato paste

2 1/2 tablespoons flour

1 can beef stock

1/2 to 3/4 cup Burgundy, depending on taste (I use 3/4 then drink the rest of the bottle)

1/2 cup sherry

1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 bay leaf, crumbled

Snipped parsley (optional)

In Dutch oven cook bacon, removed from pot and brown beef (using the grease from the bacon) on all sides; flame with brandy (flaming with brandy is optional)

Remove beef, set aside; add onions, browning slowly; add mushrooms, simmer two minutes.

Stir in tomato paste, flour, beef stock,sherry, wine, pepper and leaf. Bring to gentle boil, stirring.

Return beef & bacon to mixture; simmer at least two hours, or until meat is tender, stirring frequently. I stick mine in the oven at 200 for about 3 - 4 hours or you can transfer into a crockpot and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours or high for 2 - 3.


Serve with Gnocchi, buttered noodles or crusty French bread. I serve with broad egg noodles. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Cara said...

I want to know do you drink the rest of the bottle while you are cooking or later on? lol
Looks good..yum.
Cara

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive