Saturday, February 27, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Recipe!


I love to cook - the part I don't like is the prep work; the shopping and chopping so to speak and the clean-up. I can't clean-up as I go along like hubby does, I make one giant mess than clean the whole deal up at once. Today I made Beef Bourguignon - I was supposed to make it the other day - had bought all the ingredients and such but just didn't feel like doing to prep work and so it did not get made. I made it today because it is a family favorite and one of those recipes you can double and freeze. If you google Beef Bourguignon you will get a million
plus recipes - the one I use is a combination of my Mom's and with a few elements from Julia Child. My ballerina doesn't eat meat - but loves the gravy from this and so will eat that with noodles. Everyone else in the family can't get enough of it.

Beef Bourguignon (serves 6)

3 lbs. chuck" cut into 1 in squares (I use whatever is on sale - this time I used London Broil cause it was 1.99 per lb.)

4 slices bacon

3 tablespoons brandy

3 dozen small white onions, peeled or you can buy them already peeled in the jar - just pour out the liquid they come in before you add to the pot.

1 pkg mushrooms - I use chopped but whole is fine too

3 teaspoons tomato paste

2 1/2 tablespoons flour

1 can beef stock

1/2 to 3/4 cup Burgundy, depending on taste (I use 3/4 then drink the rest of the bottle)

1/2 cup sherry

1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 bay leaf, crumbled

Snipped parsley (optional)

In Dutch oven cook bacon, removed from pot and brown beef (using the grease from the bacon) on all sides; flame with brandy (flaming with brandy is optional)

Remove beef, set aside; add onions, browning slowly; add mushrooms, simmer two minutes.

Stir in tomato paste, flour, beef stock,sherry, wine, pepper and leaf. Bring to gentle boil, stirring.

Return beef & bacon to mixture; simmer at least two hours, or until meat is tender, stirring frequently. I stick mine in the oven at 200 for about 3 - 4 hours or you can transfer into a crockpot and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours or high for 2 - 3.


Serve with Gnocchi, buttered noodles or crusty French bread. I serve with broad egg noodles. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Cara and Jenn said...

I want to know do you drink the rest of the bottle while you are cooking or later on? lol
Looks good..yum.
Cara

Amy said...

Check out my blog for an award I passed on to you:
http://movingonfromthedrama.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunshine-and-beautiful.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Top food blogs

Blog Archive