Saturday, March 13, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Corned Beef


I wish I could stay curled-up in bed today and watch the rain fall out my window. But in a few minutes I will wake everyone up to get ready for Dance. This Wednesday is St. Patrick's Day and since our crazy schedule doesn't leave anyone home Wednesday night, I decided I would make the corned beef and cabbage today. Leftovers will be turned into corned beef hash tomorrow for breakfast. I didn't start cooking corned beef until well into my twenties - I never really liked it as a kid - but now love it as does everyone else in the family - except, of course, Mae, my non-meat eating child. She will eat the carrots and potatoes thought - and lots of them - so this is a great one pot dish that offers something for everyone. If you have never tried corned beef, this is a perfect time as the prices are low - watch out though, you might get hooked!

This is the recipe I use from my Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook:
New England Boiled Dinner
1 2 - 2.5 lb corned beef brisket
1t whole black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 medium potatoes peeled and quartered
3 medium carrots, quartered
1 medium onion cut into 6 wedges
1 small cabbage cut into 6 wedges

Trim fat from meat, place in a 4 - 6 Qt. Dutch oven, add juices and spices from package of corned beef. Add pepper and bay leaf, add enough water to cover beef. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 2 hours. Add potatoes, carrots and onions to meat, bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes, add cabbage, cover and cook 20 minutes. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive