Friday, November 5, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Friday Farrago

I am not rushing Christmas. I am not rushing Christmas. Please repeat after me. I know Halloween's over. I know. I have put away my jack-o-lanterns until next year. But I have NOT taken out my Santas or jingle bells.


I have seen a Christmas themed air freshner TV commercial on the morning of Nov. 1st. I have had an electronic Santa wave at me in a store already. I haven't heard Christmas music...yet. And I admit I did start playing it early a little before Thanksgiving last year... a little. But stop rushing me! erg.


Since I am not cooking for Thanksgiving this year I can focus on baking supplies and maybe some online "must have" Santa shopping for the kids. But that's it. I like Thanksgiving. I plan on enjoying it. Then I will immerse myself completely in Christmas until I have had ornaments, jingle bells and garland ad nauseum.


Speaking of cooking today I will share a family recipe. My husband's family has made Potato Croquettes for as long as I can remember. Now, they are not dietetic by any means. Really, nothing my inlaws make is. But it is all delicious and I want these recipes. I want to know them. I want to be able to pass them along to my children. Auntie J. made them a few weeks ago and I asked for the recipe. Much to her horror that I have never made them...add to that the fact that I didn't have a potato ricer!!! A what??? No clue. This is what it looks like in case you didn't know:

My bff here hooked me up and bought me one she found in her travels. So I tested them out at dinner one night and they came out great and everyone wants me to make them all the time. Yeah, not happening. Like I said not exactly figure friendly. But they look nice and make a nice presentation for dinner company. The potato ricer, by the way is great for mashed potatoes. I used it to make twice backed potatoes the other night and no lumps!

Potato Croquettes a la Auntie J

1 lb potatoes* boiled, peeled
and put through ricer to make "strands"
(* 1lb= 3 medium potatoes or 3 cups or 2 cups mashed)
Pinch of salt
4 oz grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs

Mix all that together very well. Shape into balls

4oz flour
1lb* bread crumbs (2 1/4 cups)
3 eggs
4 oz milk
pinch of salt
Oil to fry
(you doubted there was frying involved??)

Mix eggs, milk an salt together in a bowl
Put potato ball in flour, then in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs and shape them longer into more ovals than balls.
Fry in oil until browned and look like this:

*(my inlaws all think I have a scale in my kitchen to weigh a pound of this or that. I don't. So I Google a pound of this or that to get the measurements)

Enjoy...happy weekend.

Jenn's two cents:  Walked into Kohl's on Wednesday and yes, they were playing Christmas tunes - it's a bit early for that!  Waiting for my Potato Croquettes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive