Monday, November 21, 2011

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Same old

Just looking through recipes I have saved (I have "a few"), or online from cooking shows that I watch...looking to see if there's something interesting to make for dessert for Thanksgiving. Of course there's about 5 million recipes online, about a million for apple pie alone. I am not cooking Thanksgiving this year, but even though I won't be in my own house I will be charged with dessert. It's really the only thing my mother-in-law will take a back seat to. (as far as cooking or food is concerned that is...other things well let's just say we are pretty evenly matched sparring partners).

I truly think when my mother in law (who wasn't my mother in law yet at time) realized I had interest in cooking, and could actually cook (not quite as well as her...ahem) and could bake a mean birthday cake I sealed the deal with her.

This Thanksgiving crowd doesn't need the wow factor though I decided as I perused Pumpkin Custard Pudding Cups or Pumpkin Flan with Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (ew). They will be looking for pumpkin and apple pie. The usual. I may make the walnut bottom apple pie though that I made years ago and they all loved. But I think I will stick to the routine and give them what they want.

I am looking forward to spending Thanksgiving Eve in my mother-in-law's kitchen, alas gone are the days clubbing until the wee hours of the morning :(  We will laugh, bicker and get in eachothers way. The usual.

In case you want to "get crazy" and change up your apple pie too this year...it's easy

Walnut Bottom Apple Pie
1cup brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
Pinch of salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

Melt butter and brown sugar in a heavy bottomed sauce pan until smooth and bubbly. Add salt and walnuts, stir until heated through. Put mixture in bottom of pie plate and cover with the first pie crust. Make your apple pie filling like usual and cover with second crust. Vent and cook in 375 oven for about an hour. Cool before eating bottom will be hot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive