Wednesday, October 7, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Embracing Autumn ~ "Fall"ing into Home

OK summer’s done and even with all my previous post complaining I am over it. Truth is I probably could never live somewhere, where the seasons didn’t change. I still do not like winter once the holidays are over, but it makes spring and summer something to really look forward to.

I do love the Fall, although I prefer the word Autumn. (it's just a pretty word isn't it?) The mornings are chilly but the afternoons have been gorgeous. I have almost finished decorating my house (still have outside to finish). Again, as I do every year I hauled my ten plastic tubs of Autumn up from the basement. Yes I have ten tubs. My friend likes to tease me about that. Last year I only bought one new thing, and this year I haven’t bought anything new. I seriously don’t need it. That is until my living room is renovated then we may be talking 11 tubs.

I love candles and I really don’t burn them much in the summer since we are outside all the time. As soon as I start spending more time inside the candles are out. I love apple cinnamon candles, potpourri, Glad plug-ins etc. I have them everywhere. I love to walk in from outside and smell that. One of my kids friends once said she just wants to “eat my house” ‘cause it smells so good.

Autumn is time to come home out of the chill, hunker down and warm your bones.

Autumn is time to:

~make some homemade soup; do it in the crock pot in the morning so you can have it that night (made Jenn’s Beef Barley Soup last week…yum!)

~ stock up on hot chocolate and mini marshmallows. (they are already asking for it after school!)

~ decorate your home…put some leaves around real or from the craft store; put a bunch of pumpkins in a basket by your front door…(or everywhere you look as they say in my house! ~ Check out http://www.centsationalgirl.com/ for some really great fall decorating ideas!)

~ do some of that “to do list” you didn’t want to do when it was much too tempting to just be out in the sun (I am doing my kitchen pantry this week…ya think the oatmeal sample I got in the Sunday paper with an expiration date of 9/11/07 is still good? Uh..no.)

Autumn is time when it’s ok to be a homebody when you feel like it. And I feel like it.


Jenn's Beef Barley Soup (doubled)
2 (32oz) beef broth of beef broth
3 cups of water
1 medium onion
Oregano
2 or 3 garlic cloves
Salt & pepper
Stew meat (I used almost 1 ½ lbs when doubled)
1 cup barley

Brown onion, garlic and beef in pan. Add to crock pot, cover with broth & water, oregano, salt, pepper

Let cook 4 hours on high. Add barley cook 30 (or more) minutes until done

Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches, salad or crusty bread

5 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

Fall is the time for CHILI. I make it in the crock pot, usually on a weekend. I always have it with Fritos, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Yummm!

Cara said...

yummmm Fritos...it's corn it counts as a veggie side dish right??? lol

Unknown said...

Just coming here put me in the mood to celebrat Autumn!

Last year I found a candle that had citrus and sage...it was terrific! Not what you think of as traditional Autumn, but it was so nice.

Enjoy your tubs of seasonal fun!

Lisa @
All That and a Box of Rocks

Rosanne said...

You know I LOVE Autumn!!! for all the reason you mentioned. If your children are not ready for real burning candles I found Pumpkin Spice Flame-less pillar candles, not as good but better than not. Salute to Autumn, Amen Sister!

Unknown said...

I love that her friend wants to eat your house : ) How sweet! I am going to go and light some candles as soon as I am done typing comments here today : ) Oh, yes I am!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive