Monday, August 30, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Cara: OD'ing on Family



Yep that's how I would describe it. Been doing the family thing all weekend long. Cousins sleeping over. Food. Laughs. Arguments. Food. Kissing people who you have NO idea who they are. Food. Hugs. Family stories. Staying up late. Big breakfasts (yeah food again).

The "family weekend" though it's exhausting on so many levels, and I can only do it in doses...I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am glad my kids have lots of family in their lives. It's so important to have generations together. Kids hear all the stories I have heard at least 100 times each. Older family members get to enjoy the fun and "noise" of the kids.

As the years go by, the roles begin to shift. I was once the "young cousin" who would lay by the pool and take the sun until dinner was ready. Now I find myself inside washing vegetables for dinner while little ones run under my feet and 20somethings sun themselves by the pool. I tell the ones who used to do all the work to sit and "no I don't need you to do anything." And really I don't mind.  I always wanted the house that everyone came to, felt comfortable to stay over, borrow my pajamas and help themselves to whatever they wanted in the fridge.

Of course as with any family there's sometimes tension, arguments or sharp tongues. If someone says that doesn't happen in their family they are lying.  But I feel blessed to be able to have them in my life even if sometimes they drive me nuts.

The OD'ing on family comes in waves, like at holiday times, important occasions like big birthdays or weddings or even at times of mourning. Then we all go back to our day to day....to our own immediate family units...until it's time to come together again.

Then we tell the same stories, make the same family favorites for dinner, talk about the same people. But there's comfort in that. I am hoping that I am instilling the sense of importance of family in my children. I hope that someday they will be the ones preparing dinner for 30 and I am sitting there "doing nothing" telling them about the remember whens.

                                                             * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dinner tonight:

Rustic Summer Squash Tart
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb mixed summer squash (zucchini, yellow squash) cut in 1/4-in. rounds
1 tsp chopped garlic
Freshly ground pepper
1 refrigerated pie crust (from a 15-oz box)
4 oz Roquefort cheese, Gorgonzola or other good-quality blue cheese
1 roasted yellow or red pepper; cut in strips
1 large plum tomato, sliced, seeds removed
1 large egg, beaten



PREPARATION:

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add squash, cook turning pieces as they start to color,
7 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Remove from heat; stir in garlic and pepper to taste.
 Cool to room temperature.

2. Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; unroll or unfold pie crust on the parchment. With a rolling pin, roll crust to a 13-in. round. Crumble half the cheese over crust to within 2 in. of edge. Arrange squash mixture, pepper strips and tomato slices on cheese; fold edge of the crust over filling and brush crust with egg.

3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until pastry is golden. Slide tart, still on parchment, onto a wire rack. Crumble remaining cheese over top. Let cool before serving.

2 comments:

Jessica Nunemaker said...

Sounds like so much fun! I really wish we had that!!!

...especially the part about the food. ;)

Megella said...

Blog hopping and loved your post. The changing roles at family functions particularly hit home with me. As did the concept of OD'ing. May & June I want to go into hiding, we have so much family "fun". Very cool post.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive