Thursday, November 18, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Homemade

When hubby and I moved to South Africa I became a much better cook than I had been.  I had always been a good cook - but now things I took for granted were no longer available - so I had to learn to make them.  You can't get pizza - so I learned how to make homemade pizza dough, we bought a pizza stone from the US and we made our own pizza.  I still prefer it to the local pizzeria down the corner. 


Another favorite we couldn't get was tacos.  So I learned to make tortillas.  When we moved back to the US, I returned to buying my tortillas in the store.  I hadn't made tortillas in 10 years until last week.  It was a cold, rainy day and I didn't really feel like getting in the car and running to the store for tortillas. I had everything else to make tacos so I figured I would just make my own.  I found the recipe card, dusted it off and was in business.  My kids were fascinated. They watched and then helped and then ate. I forgot how much better homemade is. There is none of that rubbery store bought taste. The whole dinner was delicious and the other night when I had fajitas on the menu, everyone asked for homemade tortillas again.  They are not hard and take 30 minutes start to finish - including 20 minutes for the dough to rest.  So if your planning on tacos this week - give it try.  It's a fun way to get the kids involved too and it costs less than a dollar for a dozen.


Flour Tortillas
2 Cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 Tablespoons shortening (Crisco)
1/2 cup warm water


Mix the flour, salt and baking powder.  Work in the shortening with a pasty blender or fork. Add water and mix well, knead the dough until smooth (I use my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook attachment).  Cover, let stand 20 minutes.  Pinch off a piece of dough the size of an egg, roll into a ball in your hand, roll out on a flour covered surface.  Bake on a hot, dry pan until lightly brown on each side. Cover with a clean towel to keep warm and soft until serving.  Don't worry if the tortillas are not perfectly round - mine tend to be all sorts of shapes! Enjoy.

Cara's dos centavos: Suena bien gracias, señora

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive