Friday, December 10, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Cara:Friday Farrago, Books, Ladies and a Recipe

Last night as Jenn said was Book Club. We did a pot luck, and normally I don't try out recipes on unsuspecting friends. I usually save the new stuff for my guines pigs at home. But for two years I attempted to make this recipe only to realize it's a two day process and I never allowed myself the time I needed to make it. So I decided in advance to make it this year. My book club friends (they're a nice crowd) would be my guinea pigs. I am happy with the way it came out. It comes out pretty big so it's good to make for a crowd. Here's the recipe. I got this from a series of recipe books I bought many years ago called Taste of Home. There's a lot of Midwest/Southern type of recipes in these books. Nothing really dietetic. Which is allowed at this time of the year. I have edited the recipe (I always do). The way it was written I found confusing so I changed the "how to" a bit.


Candy Cane Coffee Cake 
1 tablespoon active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup sour cream

2 eggs

3 tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups all-purpose flour

FILLING:

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup sugar

2 egg yolks

2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

TOPPINGS:

1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

1 jar (12 ounces) cherry jam

Directions

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a bowl, combine the butter, sour cream, eggs, sugar and salt. Add yeast mixture and flour; beat until smooth (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

For filling, in a bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla until blended. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll out each portion until both pieces make about a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle on a greased baking sheet. On each long side, cut 1-1/2-in.-wide strips about 3 in. into center. Spread filling down center of each rectangle. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Curve one end, forming a candy cane.
Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Stir jam, then spoon over top, creating candy cane stripes. Refrigerate leftovers.

So we didn't have a book to read this month. But we did allow ourselves the excuse to get out with friends. Sit...breathe. Chat. Listen to Christmas music by the tree and take home a new book. Not rush. Hmmm sounds good doesn't it?

Jenn's two cents - this coffee cake was outstanding  - worth all the millions of calories it must have - just had a piece for lunch. Thanks Cara!

Cara's three cents: Cake for lunch...that's one great thing about this time of year!!


 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive