Monday, August 17, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Tomato Day


Today is Tomato Day. The day my family-in-laws “do” the tomatoes. We wash, boil, peel squash, jar, and boil 17 bushels of tomatoes to make sauce for the year. It’s quite the process, one I had avoided for many, many years. I don’t have anything against Tomato Day, really. Way back when I worked full time my mother-in-law to be wanted me to take a vacation day to do tomatoes with them. Uh, no. I was all about big hair, long fake nails and name brand clothes back then. I was not wasting a day off, getting up before dawn and getting covered in tomato guts. No thanks.
Then as the years went on I just didn’t participate, even when my sister law joined the fun because my brother in law didn’t want to eat sauce made from tomatoes from a can. Luckily for me my husband even though he is Italian through and through didn’t really care as long as I didn’t GOD FORBID use jarred sauce. I would never. I didn’t grow up on jarred sauce either.
In recent years my Sam decided she really liked the way Grandma's sauce tasted. We deducted it was because of the tomatoes. So it began. It’s not as bad as I thought it would be. It’s kinda fun. We talk about things. We laugh. We bond over tomatoes. It’s a family tradition. Sam helps. My 9 year old niece helps now too. Even “the men” help out too twisting jars closed or lugging cases of freshly made sauce.
We are not starting too early today. Everyone’s life is busy now and things get in the way. But sauce will be made. I know my friends wanted to get involved, but this year it was a 24 hour decision that Tomato Day is upon us. So maybe next year, if I can urge the group to plan ahead a little better then I can invite others to participate. I will let you know how Tomato Day goes. Now where did I put my babushka?

2 comments:

Rosanne said...

I remember my own family's "tomato day" as such a special family time, just like Sam and you niece will. I miss it and the people who did it but I still have wonderful memories. Count me in for next year, I can turn a food mill like nobody's business!!!

Rosemarie said...

I am IN!! and I have my own babuska.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive