Saturday, October 17, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Mayberry revisited

Cara and I have both talked about living in Mayberry, Small Town, USA, call it what you will, but we call it home. Last night was Homecoming. Each class of the HS makes a float and parades it down main street with the band playing and the cheerleaders from all the schools cheering and the students all dressed in school colors and hair colored purple. My youngest is a cheerleader this year and this was her first homecoming parade. At 7 years old, the concept of homecoming is not one she really gets, but what she did get was the people cheering and the girls screaming their cheers and the camaraderie of it all. I kept seeing her and her friends hugging and high-fiving. Whatever they were doing, this homecoming thing, they knew it was fun and they were having fun doing it. My oldest was off with his friends somewhere, I knew he would show up at home by 7 - when I told him to be there. He kept texting me, letting me know where he was and what he was up to. He didn't really need to bother with the texting - small town has it's advantages. He was seen by many, I got the reports. I know when he is at the pizza place or the deli or crossing main street in the middle of the road and not at the light. My middle girl was with me - some of her friends were going to the Football game - but she didn't want to - she was happy hanging with me and my friends - wonder how much longer that will last. She is my homebody though and would rather be home than anywhere else. Her girlfriends kept texting her the score of the game - of course our town crushed the other - I guess they make sure they have a weaker team to play on homecoming. Tomorrow is the homecoming dance - something I don't have to worry about until next year when my oldest enters HS.

My niece and nephew, who live in the big city will never get to experience homecoming and I am sad for them. I was a city kid too - I never got to go to homecoming. I thought it was something that only happened on TV during those mushy Lifetime or Hallmark movies. Homecoming is a tradition in so many small towns across our country and it is good to give our children a sense of home, of belonging, of community. Last night the town got together and celebrated, it was a great feeling and I am happy to be a part of it. I am glad I live in Mayberry.

Cara's two cents: And topping off an evening of dinner at the local pizza place and the hometown parade with hot chocolate at your new place (a stone's throw from the parade route) was memories in the making. Yes, yesterday was a great day to live in Mayberry.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I live in a small town, too, and this is homecoming weekend here as well. My girls are both in HS and last night they went to the game (of course we won. Hadn't thought about the "planning" that might go on with that) and tonight is the homecoming dance. Homecoming here isn't a big townwide affair as it is in your town, but I love living in a small town too.

Happy SITS Sharefest Saturday!

Corrie Howe said...

Stopped by from SITS. Happy SITS Sharefest Saturday.

You ladies sound like my kind of moms. I think I'll hang out here awhile. I hope I don't start making myself annoying like Aunt Flo. Just let me know if I do.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive