Wednesday, December 2, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Deck the halls, and the kitchen, and the den and the living room....


And so it has begun. The decorating that is. I have as of today 35 tubs/boxes of Christmas decorations. I think I have a problem. But I am working on it. I haven't bought anything new this year (yet). That is if you don't count the 6 ornaments I made in "library class" that my friend dragged me to. (ok she didn't drag...it was fun actually)

I like to take my time decorating. I usually do it over the course of a few days and no, thanks I don't want any help. Family of course helps with the tree(s). Family togetherness is required for that as is eggnog, The Muppets Christmas Album and some teenage wisecracking thrown in for good measure. Suddenly, I realized the other night as I hung an ornament on which the Diva commented "What the hell is that?" that I am now on the receiving end of the torment during tree trimming. I had a sudden flashback of circa 1979 trimming the tree with my parents and my brother. I remember two pre-teens wisecracking about the gold only ornaments on what probably was at the time a very hip-happenin' tree "theme”. And I remember being instructed for the umpteenth time on how to place the gold tinsel...."one strand at a time" on the tree. And I remember those wisecrackers throwing a handful on in front of the mother to freak her out. I also remember the dog who ate tinsel and ended up walking around with it hanging out of it’s butt. But I digress…

These realizations and flashbacks are why I do the bulk of the decorating alone. That and I know my family likes to come home and see things “done” for Christmas. Even if I could afford to have someone come and do my decorating for me I don’t think I would. I love to open each box and see what’s inside. I mean every box is labeled… I am the one with the OCD remember? But taking out each snowman or ornament is like opening a gift. When I take my angel tree topper out of her plastic box it’s like seeing an old friend.

This is our fourth Christmas in this house. I finally have some kind of routine as far as where things go. One thing that made me nuts when we moved here was that there wasn’t that familiar old thumbtack hole in the molding where I hung the same thing every year. This year there were a few of those, which in my weird world was comforting to me. I can now remember where I put things the past few years. I changed stuff that didn’t really work last year. (I won’t even tell you that I took pictures of all my decorating the last two years and printed them out so I could see what I did the year before…then you would really think I had OCD). Some people look at all this as a chore. I don’t. It’s not easy, don’t get me wrong. It’s work. But it’s good work and for me it’s a labor of love.

One of my favorite places to be is sitting with a cup of tea, in my chair, reading a book by the light of my Christmas tree….after all the “work” is done.

Jenn's two cents: I am the opposite end of the spectrum. I have 4 tubs of holiday decorations though I think that may change with the new house...hubby has already instructed me to hit all the after Christmas sales and stock up for next year! And as the friend who dragged Ms. OCD to the library craft - she thouroughly enjoyed getting her "martha" on!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Thank you for reminding me that I wanted to post about my holiday decor. Isn't it nice to sit by a twinkling Christmas tree? It's one of my favorite things.

...stopping by from SITS...

Steph @ Stick It in the Fridge

pleasestickitinthefridge.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Of course, I agree with everything you do! (Re: the "commenting" teens....what goes around comes around...lol!)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive