Saturday, April 17, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Simple Saturday

I am sitting at my kitchen table looking at the grocery ads and trying to see where the best deals are this week.  I can't run from grocery store to grocery store, so I make a list and see who has the most of what I want on sale and go there.  The last few weeks it has been one store in particular that I like.  This week it is a store I don't feel all that safe it.  It's funny how gorcery stores can be so different when they serve the same purpose.  There is the grocery store you go to when you don't feel like getting dressed and know you probably won't see anyone you know except when you do they were hoping the same thing so neither one of you is looking too hot.  Then there is the grocery store where most of your friends shop so going in sweats is not an option.  There is the far away grocery store that I prefer, but it just is too far to drive.  Some are cleaner, nicer, brighter than others. Some have better layouts or bigger isles.  Some are dark and dingy.  I have a favorite - but their prices just seem to always be higher than the others - so I only go there when I need just a few things - more for convienence than savings.

I am also getting ready for Lu's Communion in two weeks. Starting to pick up some of the things I need like soda and chips.  Today I think I will make gallons of sauce.  I am cooking for the Communion Party so I want to get a head start on the things I can. 

Since it's rainy and cold where I am today, I am going to roast a chicken for dinner tonight.  Here is my favorite recipe from Christina Ferrare.

This classic roasted chicken is great on its own and in countless other recipes. This recipe calls for two chickens so that you have leftovers!
Ingredients:
2 chickens , 4 1/2 to 5 pounds each
6 lemons
A poultry mix of fresh herbs: Rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley and oregano work well  (or poulty mix from the spice aisle)

Marinade for one chicken:
1 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup juice from fresh lemon (don't discard lemon rinds)
Directions:
To make marinade: Place all ingredients in a nonreactive bowl. Whisk with a wire whisk until ingredients are incorporated well—the marinade should have a smooth and creamy consistency.


To make roasted chicken: Preheat oven to 425°.Clean chickens well and pat dry. Place each chicken in its own baking dish.Stuff cavities with lemon rinds and fresh herbs. A poultry mix is fine, usually consisting of rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley and oregano.Pour marinade over chicken. Add cracked pepper and remaining herbs to the top of each chicken.
Place an oven thermometer in each chicken and cover with aluminum foil. Place on the lower rack of the oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, then remove the aluminum foil. Baste with a basting bulb. Keep basting often, ever 15 minutes until the thermometer reads 180°  ENJOY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive