Thursday, June 17, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Stuff

If you know me, you know I don't do "stuff."  Don't like knick-knacks or momentos or souvenirs.  I don't display things or collect things.  I like clean surfaces.  I don't know where it comes from.. I wasn't always like this. It might have to do with living in a dorm room for so many years where your space is limited.  Then onto a tiny, tiny NYC apartment - even less space...whatever the reason, it is who I am.  My son has inherited my distaste for stuff as he has gotten older. Many of the boxes we moved just 9 months ago, have only recently been gone through and most of it pitched.  The things he "had to have"when we were moving are now no longer important.  Lu, on the other hand, is a borderline horder.  I have to be on top of her room all the time or it will become dangerous. Mae is somewhere in the middle (as usual).


Yesterday I went to my Mom and Dads to go through some "stuff" I had stored in their basement.  My Mom felt it was time for me to get rid of some of it.  It's not much - mostly kids toys and clothes and lots and lots of pictures.  I found some crystal vases I had gotten for my engagement.  A sterling fork, a wedding gift. The matches from our wedding with our monogram on them - so early 90's - I am sure no one does matches anymore!  I did get rid of a lot.  Mostly baby toys.  I kept the sentimental ones.  Thinking that someday my kids may want them - or may end up just throwing them away.  There are handmade blocks and a music box from a now-deceased Aunt.  Some favorite outfits from when the kids were babies. Lots of South Africa momentos. I found an antique sterling mug that Lu had gotten as a baby gift, it is dated 1895.  There are four large, plastic boxes of pictures I will have to go through.. I am putting that off for as long as possible.


I brought home a car load.  The African spears my husband collects.  The vases.  A globe for the kids to use. An easel for Lu.  I couldn't get it all away yesterday and I am daunted by the task today.  I have a field trip and dance and dinner to cook and now to my list I will add "stuff" to put away. 



HAPPY BIRTHDAY TP! Hope it's a good one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive