Saturday, July 24, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Simple Saturday Book Reviews

I read a lot.  I average 2 books per week since summer started.  Mostly because I am always waiting around somewhere for someone so I read to pass the time. 

I missed book club this week. Cara blogged yesterday about the book we read - The Wednesday Sisters.  I liked the book.  I thought it was a mindless, easy read.  Not a Harlequin Romance and not War and Peace but somewhere in between.  I enjoyed the story.  I didn't find it plausible but I found it enjoyable.  Cara talked about now caring about the characters - when I read a book, I don't really need to care about the characters - I just need to enjoy the story. I did enjoy the Wednesday Sisters.

I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain.  This book bought me to tears.  I started out not liking it at all and I am still not sure if I really did like the book - it is told from the perspective of the family dog about his humans.  But as a dog lover/owner, it did make me think about my own dogs and what they are sometimes thinking when they give me one of those looks with their head sideways and eyebrows raised. This book definitely gave me some new perspective!

I also read A Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens this week.  I have been reading a lot of "wife books" lately - The Pilots Wife and The Time Traveller's Wife.  It was an interesting book, I started out not liking it at all - but it is the story of a woman - a wife  - and by the end of the book I really did like this character and I really did feel like I knew her.  It was a rough start, but I am glad I pushed my way through it.  I rarely start a book and not finish it, but sometimes you just have to realize life is too short to be spent reading lousy books. I started another this week - I can't even tell you the name of it because after a few chapters I returned it to the library!  It won all sorts of literary awards and was highly reviewed, I just could not get into it.

I just started Sara's Key.  It is slow going but I am plugging along.

Today is my beautiful Ballerina's 12th birthday!  I don't know where the past twelve  years have gone but there is a girl in my house who I knew as a baby and suddenly, over night, she is growing into this beautiful young woman.  Happy Birthday Mae-Mae!

1 comments:

Adventures said...

I am now following you back! Thanks for the follow!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive