Monday, August 16, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Cara: If it's too loud are you too old???


On Saturday night I went to my first (and last) KISS concert. Yeah, that guy...he was there. Yeah, he was throwing fire, spitting blood...the usual. He will be 61 years old the end of this month. I must say for an old guy he did rock the crowd. He and his 58 year old counterpart:

In the audience were quite an assortment of fans. There were your usual rockers 20-30 something. But there were families..parents and little kids with KISS makeup on. We were there with our teenagers and friends (my brother's band played before KISS went on that's why we were even there in the first place). At first I didn't even care if we stayed and watched the rest of the concert. But I am glad we did. It was fun. Like I said, it's was my first and last KISS concert but at least I can say I went to one.

But it leaves me to wonder? When are you too old? I would think you would have to consider too old for what? I think a 40something year old in mini-skirt? Too old. Giving birth at 65? Too old. But going to this concert makes me realize there's lots of things that you are not too old for. Gene Simmons, yes is in his 60's. But people LOVE (I mean LOVE) him. He still puts on a a great show. I would bet that he goes home and goes to bed after his shows now instead of partying like a rock star but so what? He is having fun, he obviously loves what he does. He is pretty good at it I would say. So too old? Nah.

Parents taking their kids to a real rock concert and tailgating (everyones first time) in the parking lot before? Nah. That's making memories. We had a great time. We laughed all night. They saw their uncle rock with his band on a real stage. When they think of KISS they will remember going with their parents and having a ball.

Sometimes its too loud for me. I don't care for all the music my kids listen to. Most of it I listen to myself (much to my teenage son's chagrin who really does not want to hear his mom driving the minivan sing "Wake up in the mornin' feelin' like P Diddy") And sometimes much to my chagrin, I yell up the stairs  "LOWER THAT" like some parents I used to know. But I like to go out when I can. I like to go out to my local pub and listen to a band with all my friends. We drink and dance and laugh and have fun. But when the clock strikes 11:30-12 a.m. and the "younger set" starts filing in, we are outta there. We don't think we can hang with 20something "boys" and they think we are cool. That's just icky.

So upon turning a ripe old 43 yesterday I have decided age is just a number. There may be some things that you probably shouldn't do at a certain age. But if you are having fun, not doing anyone any harm then I say go for it. Go dance like no one is watching. Shake your 50something year old ass on stage as long as 15,000 people are screaming for you to do it. Play your music loud in your minivan and sing your heart out (as long as your 15 year old is not in there with you!). Have fun. Don't stop just 'cause the calendar says you are a year older. Make memories. Rock on.




Jenn's two  cents:  All I can say is OMG love the picture - Rock On Cara!


 

3 comments:

Ronnica said...

I think it'd be fun to people watch at a Kiss concert, right?

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! (Wise, too). Love the picture. Maybe KISS needs a "girl" rocker...lol!

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

That's very true. I'm 40 & I still love rock music. Kiss rocks. I still wear different colored nailpolish & graphic t-shirts & some other things.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive