Tuesday, September 21, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Recipe!

When we lived in South Africa, we learned to appreciate many new and diverse foods.  I have tried snake, alligator, Springbok, Kudu, buffalo - plus some things I probably didn't know I was eating!  Most of it was not for me but since you only live once, you should try (most) things once.  Once of our favorite dishes from SA is actually a Zulu dish our housekeeper used to make.  I don't know what the Zulu name for it is but we just call it Matilda's Butternut Squash.  I made it for some dinner guests the other night and it was a huge hit.  Try it - you might like it!

Matilda's Butternut Squash

1 butternut squash peeled and cut into small pieces ( I cheat and buy pre-cut at the store)
1 onion thinly sliced into rings
1 bag fresh spinach
1/2 cup cheddar cheese (I also use Mexican blend sometimes)
1/4 cup butter
salt (lots!)

Parboil squash.  Melt butter in a large frying pan, add onions and saute, add spinach and cook down.  Salt the spinach generously.  Add squash and stir in to mash.  Add cheese to melt and serve.  Super simple and delicious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive