Wednesday, July 13, 2011

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Days are long but the years are short.....

(Dance recital - 1st grade June 1999)

There's a theme I think running through the blog this week, as I dropped my oldest off at college orientation on Monday. She is back already but still it was a momentus occasion.

People are still asking, "OK are you sad now??" The answer is still no. I am really not. I was so excited along with her to bring her to school help her move in (be it for the night) to a dorm room, set up her bed, meet the girl that she would be rooming with that night etc. Then we went our seperate ways. We went with the freshman parents to learn about what the heck is going to go on the next four years and she walked away...alone. No buddies to walk with, no preconceived notions of who she was, what group she hung out with or what street you will find her front door on in Mayberry. No one there could give a dam where Mayberry is for that matter. That could have made me sad but it didn't. I told her she was lucky and that she can go off and make her own destiny. She can define who she is now. She is not Cara's daughter, or  the big sister. She is not the President of Swing Choir or that nice girl that sings at Sunday mass. She is just Sam. I am overwhelmed with pride and excitement for her even as I sit here and type this.

I left her there that night with a good feeling. I liked what I heard all day from the staff. I love the beautiful campus. I loved that I caught a peek at her with her group walking to lunch as she was chatting away with a bunch of girls.

Do I get choked up all the time? Sure. But not sad. Is my house going to feel a little empty? Sure. But this is life. This is how it's supposed to go. And it's going along, whether we like it or not. But you know what? I am a little proud of us too. We got her to this point and now she is ready. That's helps the not being sad, knowing she is so ready. They shared this with us at one of the parent seminars...

"There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots ~ the other is wings." Hodding Carter Jr.

Those are parenting words to live by. Use your wings and fly my little chickie...you can always come home.

                                                         College Orientation July 2011

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always and ever "My Sam"! Pass the tissues, please!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive