Wednesday, September 14, 2011

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Whooosh

Did you see that? The day just went whooshing by!! Whirlwind September is in full force. Ugh. I don't think my mind has slowed down long enough for the rest of me to catch up. I am having one of those days where every stupid thing that can go wrong has. Nothing earth shattering just little dumb things that are on my last nerve. I will spare you the details, but suffice it to say if it wasn't Meet the Teacher Night tonight and I didnt have to be up at school wearing my best PTA smile, I would be in my sweats ready for bed by 4:00!

Yesterday a Long Island mom made news because she brought her child to the school yard to fist fight another child. Then during the course of the fight she herself beat up on another child bystander. Of course someone took video of the whole thing on their phone...duh. Of course. Of course they put it on YouTube. Of course. Do people live in 1975? I was horrified and figured she was some stupid (being totally not PC here now) white trash.

Then I heard her back story how her daughter is being bullyed all the time these kids in school and online. She went to the school, the police no one would help her. I think she snapped. I could feel her pain. Now I would never go to the extremes that she did, nor do I condone fist fighting. But I may be wrapped a little tighter than her. (God help HER)

Bully seems to be the buzz word these days. "No Bully Zone" signs up in school, bullying workshops for parents. I am actually in the process of planning one for Red Ribbon week at school with the school social worker.

But does anyone put their money where their mouth is? When you call the school do they DO something or give you lip service? Apparently she is not the only one who encountered a brick wall when she was desperate to help her child. Thankfully none of my kids were ever bullyed to the point that I felt the need to have school or police intervene. I am worried that if I did I could end up on The View like this mom did.

If I am being honest, there have been kids along the way who's hair I would have like to pull out because they were a little shi$@ to my kid. But I think you need to give them tools to defend themselves and refrain from taking the kid out yourself. It's a LOT of work. Maybe that mom didn't have the support or know how to do the work. Maybe she thought it could get solved the way it did in 1975...a good ass kicking and the bully leaves you alone. Today it's a whole different ball game.

The whole bullying thing sickens me. What kind of adult will that child become? Do all bully's parents have their heads in the sand and don't know what their child is? Or are they taught it at home? Or have they just given up? I don't know. I do know that the 4th grade girl that tells another you are dumb and your shoes are ugly, and gets away with it, may be the same girl that ends up in a YouTube brawl in a few years.

This whole Red Ribbon thing at school was just yet another PTA task for me to do. I am looking at it a little different today.

Jenn's two cents:  Me too!  The day has just flown by.  Left the house at 9 to go to DMV and was in and out in 5 minutes - then decided to go the the price club since I was right there...which then led to target, homegoods and finally shoprite and I am home 4 hours later...and wiped out.  The whole bullying thing is a sore subject for me ... yes there are a few little girls who need to be taken down a peg or two - but taking the high road and teaching my daughter to be tough without being mean is exhausting.  I totally get why these parents snap...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive