Friday, March 2, 2012

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Friday' s word of the week

Affirmation  - 1. the act of affirming or the state of being affirmed
2. a statement of the existence or truth of something; assertion



When my kids were little it was always "Mommy watch me do this! Mommy watch me do that!" They always needed to have me see their latest trick and tell them how great they were. I suppose in a different way they all still do the same thing with a little less jumping up and down. Now I get a phone call about an awesome grade or great thing a professor said. Or a get quick slip into a conversation about a great thing they did that day. I get eye contact from across the field after a shining moment. Affirmation. The fact that they still want to "tell" me first, get that affirmation that I still think they are the best thing since sliced bread makes me happy. And I guess its an affirmation to me that they know that I really do.


As adults, I would first think we don't need affirmation as much. Some adults I have come across, have a sense of entitlement whereas they don't need any affirmation. I mean why would they? They are entitled to every thing for no apparent reason.


But aside from the "entitled" I think we "normal" adults need some affirmation sometimes too. I know lots of times close friends and I run things by each other just to make sure we haven't lost our minds. (because it is everyone else..it's certainly not US!!) I know I run things by my parents to make sure I didn't jump on the parenting crazy train with some decisions I make. One of the best things about being married to someone who really can be my polar opposite, is that I can get affirmation that I did the right thing or handled something the right way. 'Cause if he says I did then I can be pretty dam sure I did...since he mostly can't make heads or tails of the wild woman he married. :)



I think it's ok to seek out a little affirmation once in awhile, of course within in reason. Needy is REALLY not attractive. We can all use a pat on the back once in awhile. Even if it affirms we are not crazy. Well, not this time anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive