Wednesday, July 15, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Cara: How does your garden grow?

Mine’s doing great now, thanks. Now that the sun had finally realized it needs to come out every day so things can grow. I mean you need rain but lately it’s been ridiculous. But I do love gardening. It’s become an obsession really. I guess lucky for my wallet that I live in a four season climate. I would spend a fortune if I could plant all year long. Probably one of the reasons I don’t like time between January and April because there’s nothing to plant. I can even get a poinsettia to keep alive in December!

I don’t even really hate weeding. I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it (that much). I garden and I am relaxed. Even on the days when I do a lot of planting or whatever and I am dead tired after. It’s a good tired. It’s rewarding. Last night I noticed my hanging basket of New Guinea impatiens looking droopy. I didn’t water them all day. I watered them and came back an hour later and they looked good as new. Everything in life should be so easy or so grateful for that matter.

I even dig new holes for worms that I disturb when planting. Or move a snail that is walking across the concrete (at a snail’s pace…sorry couldn’t resist) under a big plant so it can find something to eat. I don’t mind bumble bees buzzing around while I dig. I will even work around the praying mantis that shows up every year. It always dam near scares the crap out of me when I come upon it. That’s because I am usually on my knees and it’s almost touching my nose!

My Black-Eyed Susans are blooming, my Montauk Daisies are huge…even my hydrangea bushes (my favorite!) I planted two years ago are blooming with huge purple flowers this year. I could go on an on. And there are still things that I want that I haven’t planted yet. But I guess a little every year.

I can walk out very early on a sunny morning, with my coffee cup and check on my garden. Every day it’s got something new for me. It’s happy to see me. And I am happy to quietly sit in its company until the day begins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess one would say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree (or would that be a pear)? By the by, that mantis is saying her prayers; she isn't a predator. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one!) The proof is in the pudding...Dad just came in from the garden: tied up the tomatoes, transplanted the lettuce, petunias, and mint. Then he sat down to admire the garden and the day.

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected....the gardener says that mantis is a predator because she eats other insects. Well at least she folds her hands and says grace before meals...lol.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive