Tuesday, August 4, 2009

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Friends

This morning I woke up to an e-mail from a woman who was my closest friend when I lived in South Africa. I was so happy to hear from her - it has been years. I have been "home" 10 years this summer - hard to believe. In those ten years, I have made a whole new set of friends. I moved to my town only knowing my husbands family. But new towns don't scare me because I have moved often enough and I can usually find things to do and new people to get to know.

All of my friends now I met because of my children. I know I would still be friends with these women even if our children were not. I am still friends with women I know from grammar school, high school and college. Although I don't talk to them as often as I would like, I know I can pick up the phone and it would be like we had spoken yesterday.

My children are the center of my life right now. I know as much as they need me now and as much as they will need me when they are grown, they will not always consume my time as they do now. Friends are those people who will help fill the days when my kids are gone.

I look at my mom who in her 70's has made a new set of friends. She moved to be closer to me, into a 55+ community. She talks about the women who she has met and those who are her friends. She also talks about the other women who exclude her and she can't be bothered with. She talks about bridge club and book club - and so and so who is a real b***h and takes over at book club. There is a woman she talks about she is going to let have it because she is such a big mouth. I listen to all this and laugh and think some things never change no matter how old you get.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive