Tuesday, October 12, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Boobies

In honor of breast cancer awareness month, I am going to talk about Boobies.  You've seen the bracelets - they are black or pink or green and say I (heart) Boobies on them.  I saw a teenage boy wearing a boobies t-shirt the other day. Boobies are everywhere.  They are a bit controversial to some - the bracelets and t's have been banned in some schools - I don't agree - I say let them wear boobies - we need to keep the conversation going. Check out http://www.keep-a-breast.org/
 - you can buy a bracelet while your there.

Breast, boobs, ta-tas, rack, whatever you want to call them, it 's something I would never have said out loud as a kid.  Boobs were the kind of thing nice girls didn't talk about.  Thanks to Susan G. Koman and all the women who rally for breast cancer research and funding, boobs and breast cancer is no longer a taboo subject. 

Thursday, at the age of 43,  I had my first mammogram.  It was the most humiliating 10 minutes of my life.  I left the office with tears in my eyes and the feeling that I was going to throw-up.  I didn't know what to expect. No one tells you what's going to happen.  Friends talk about getting their boobs squashed and that it hurts.  They don't tell you that a lovely woman is going to be picking your boobs up and slapping them down on a table. This woman you know from around town - who has now not only seen your boobs but touched them and squished them.  I don't think I can ever look at her again.  Once your boobs are lifted and slapped onto a table, they are indeed squished.  From stories I have heard, I was expecting excruciating, nail-in-your-eye, pain.  It's not painful - more like uncomfortable.  I have had three children naturally - that is painful. You are forced to turn your head to one side, and then the other, then look up until you feel like your falling backwards. The whole thing is over in less than 10 minutes.  You get dressed and leave with a promise of results back in three days and not to worry if you are called back in for more squishing because it happens to most women. 

So I am waiting for my results - I am not expecting anything less than a clean bill of health.  That is how you get through the three days - you assume everything is right with the world and if it turns out it's not, than you worry about it.  If you haven't had a mammogram - go get one -  now you know what to expect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive