Tuesday, May 24, 2011

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: 15 minutes a day

For a long time I followed a website called flylady.net.  It was basically a house cleaning schedule.  Each week you would have zones in your home that you would work on and each room would be given 15 minutes a day.  Although I didn't follow it religiously, what it did teach me is that you can do anything for 15 minutes.  So every day I try to spend 15 minutes in each of the main rooms in my house. Some days it's not possible.  Most days I run out of things to clean in 10 minutes.  The beauty of the 15 minute system is that is you do it a few times a week, no room will ever be more than 15 minutes from messy to clean.

The kitchen is the exception to the 15 minute rule because it is a room you use all day long.  I do have routines for the kitchen to keep my time there to a minimum and to make sure it is clean most days. The kitchen you just have to clean as you go - there is really no other way to stay on top of it. 

About 6 weeks ago I told my kids they each needed to give me 15 minutes a day, 6 days a week - they could have Sunday off.  I made a list of chores that need to be done - if you do 2 chores per day, you pretty much satisfy the 15 minutes.  At the end of the week I check to see how many days each one completed their 15 minutes.  If they did all six days they get 12 bucks.  If they did less then six, they get $1 for each day they work. 

Some weeks it works great - others not so much. But it's something.  It gives my kids a chance to earn money.  It gives me the much needed help around the house.  A friend told me the other day she started it with her kids - who are a little younger than mine - and it's working great so far. 

This is a busy week for me - so I need to get crackin'.  My 15 minutes of blogging are up.

Cara's two cents: I love me some FlyLady...hence my Christmas "folder" :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive