Monday, November 7, 2011

PostHeaderIcon Cara: Excess

When Pilgrims were hoping for an abundant harvest I don't think they were talking about this:

That was Target on Saturday afternoon. Halloween was last Monday so that was a whole 5 days later. And, OK, maybe Halloween was on a Monday and not you didn't get a lot of trick or treaters as you would say on a Saturday. But I remember when I was buying my Halloween candy mid October thinking.."Wow they have A LOT of candy in Target!!!" Obviously I was right. Was it great to get a bag of Almond Joy's for $2? Sure. My home-from college-Diva stocked up for the dorm room. My too old-to-go-trick- or-treating-my-little-brother-freaks-out-when-I touch-his-candy 16 year old bought some to stash away for himself. And I did buy the mother load to fill the boxes we will donate tomorrow at a church project. But if I tell you we did not make a dent in the candy aisle would be an understatement. This was another aisle we didn't even hit:
My point is the excess is absurd. What the heck are they going to do with all that candy now? Something tells me it will go in the dumpster at some point. A sin really. (even not taking into consideration just the thought of throwing out good Almond Joys makes me gasp!)

Being grateful for things has been on my mind lately. Guess Thanksgiving is in the air. Or maybe it's the Christmas music playing in the background already during my errands. Those aisles (and aisles) of left over Halloween candy in the store really stopped me in my tracks. (Mike wasn't with me or we would have had a lecture for sure...although big kids got one too as they dug through mountains of Kit Kats) People have no food, no job, no home but yet somehow we can rationalize Target buying 9 million pounds of Halloween Candy and us getting a "deal" when they have to put it on sale the week after.

Friends have started putting something they are grateful for everyday on Facebook. I like to read them. I am not joining in though, since I really don't need yet ANOTHER self inflicted daily commitment. (we do it every Sunday anyway!) It seems to be catching on. That's a good thing.

I almost let the business of life get in the way of participating in Operation Christmas Child with my church like I have done for the past 9 years. But something woke me up, and Mike and I will be there. (He was appalled that we may have not been going!)

So I guess my point is (and yes I have one) is that especially since it's that time of year already (even if you don't want to admit it there's like 6 weeks 'til Christmas) take the time to count your blessings. If you do you will realize the things to be thankful for completely outweigh the things that get you down or you waste too much time complaining about. A good place to start is to find at least one thing everyday to be grateful for. (even on the worst day you can be grateful for food,clothing and shelter!! And that's 3!!)

At the moment I am grateful for sun in the morning to get my crazy day started!!!!

Jenn's two cents: So funny - was in target the other day and got a bunch of candy for .80 cents a bag - almond joys for hubby and peanut butter m&m's for the rest. I couldn't believe how much they had left over ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive