Tuesday, March 20, 2012

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: A dogs life



A year ago I was writing this same post when we had to say goodbye to our dog Bali. A faithful friend for almost 16 years, it was a rough road.


Last week I had to say goodbye to Daisy, my "baby" at almost 5 years old. My 40th birthday present, she was a gift of a dog. At just 10 pounds, she was my protector, my biggest fan and a lap warmer on cold nights. Unfortunately, Daisy had an uncurable, genetic disease. Although we tried just about everything, there was no getting her better. We spoiled her rotten the last few weeks and finally I had to make an agonizing decision. I had secretly hoped for a miracle, thinking that all my love would save her.


I sometimes think Daisy's illness was the result of a broken heart. After Bali died, she was never the same. Much like my grandparents, who were married 54 years, my grandmother died within a year of my grandpa. The official cause of death was a fast spreading cancer- but we all thought it was a broken heart - she just couldn't go on without her lifetime love. Daisy tried to hold on for me and the last week or two of her life, she wouldn't let me out of her sight. She gave everything she had to be a good dog right up to her last day but she never stopped missing Bali.


I grew up with a dog, a maltipoo named Boris. He lived until I was 16. When Hubby & I moved to Africa, we got a puppy named M'Bali,which means Rose in Zulu. Along the way we adopted Alba (white in Afrikans) and Jo-Jo. Alba didn't make it out of Africa, she was killed by another dog. Jo-Jo & Bali came to America with us. We said goodbye to Jo-Jo 9 years ago when I was pregnant with Lu. We added Daisy to the family for both me and Bali. Bali didn't like being an only dog and she took to Daisy right away. They were inseparable with Daisy always at Bali's heels. Daisy even took over as leader last year when Bali's eyesight was failing and would nudge her in the right direction when they would go outside.


I thought putting Bali down was the hardest thing In the world. I had no idea I would be doing it a year later with Daisy. It has been heartbreaking. For the first time in 17 years I am dog less and I don't like it. I keep looking for Daisy at the bottom of my bed, or cleaning up under the kids in the kitchen. They become such a part of our lives that it's hard to live without them. Hubby travels a lot and I have always felt ok as long as the dog(s) were close by - with no dogs & hubby on the road - I haven't slept much the past few nights.


I know new puppies will be coming soon. I am a dog person. I need to have my faithful friends at my side. I will keep mourning Daisy & it will get easier. In a few months I will start calling breeders & looking for a new love. It's never easy to say goodbye to your pet - but for me, it's harder still to live without one.

Cara's two cents: We will all miss Daisy...always happy to see you...would like to sit on your lap if you please...and would be happy to share whatever it is you are snacking on. She and Bali are chasing eachother around in doggie heaven. :(

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive