Friday, February 22, 2013

PostHeaderIcon Jenn: Food for Thought

I have been spending a lot of time lately reading about food.  Specifically what foods you should and shouldn't eat.  I have read about what food can do for you and what it can't.  I have read about food being a host of all sorts of problems - more than just obesity - but things like asthma, acne, auto-immune diseases -the list goes on and on.  I have read about organic vs. non-organic or grass fed vs grain fed, farmed vs free range - you name it and there is an opinion on it.  With research to back it up - research that proves whatever claim the author is making - which means
even the research isn't perfect.

Here's what I have learned - that no one can agree on what is the healthiest for our bodies.  You really have to be your own detective and then choose what works for you.  I just finished reading "It Starts with Food"  which is a Wholefood based approach - they even have a lot of science to back it up.  Here's a link to their website http://whole9life.com/  It makes a lot of sense.  The problem is after 45 years of eating, it's hard to change.  I don't want to become one of those food freaks - who worries over every morsel they put in their mouth and its origins - but I don't want to remain oblivious either. I want to be healthy.  To get rid of the bad and keep the good.  I also want to enjoy my food.  I want chocolate.

Much of what I have read makes sense - I get it - it doesn't mean I want to give up grain or sugar or even dairy for that matter.  I have known for awhile that cow's milk has no business being in our diet.  We are not cows - I get that.  I still want yogurt though.  I tried almond milk for the first time yesterday - it was ok - but nothing like cows milk.  I can exist on mostly vegetables and fruit - but wait not too much fruit - thats too much sugar and that's bad for you.  Conflicting messages are everywhere when it comes to what to put into our bodies. My husband mocks my food exploration telling me if I want to lose weight I should just put less food in my mouth.  Thanks for the advice.  Although I would like to lose weight, that's not really what all this researching is about. It really is about wanting to be healthier and have more energy.  If you really are what you eat, I don't want to be a chocolate chip cookie. 

Tomorrow I am diving whole heartily into changing how I eat, the last few weeks I have been experimenting.  My family will just have to deal - I am not making them give anything up but by setting an example, maybe they will follow my lead.  My ballerina is on board to a healthier lifestyle - boy is slowly coming around.  Lu is naturally a healthy eater who would choose strawberries and watermelon over a cookie any day.  Hubby - well he is definitely not on board.  So I will work around everyone's likes and tastes and try to do this for me. It won't be easy but hopefully it will be worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive