Friday, June 13, 2014

PostHeaderIcon Cara: My Lucky Charm



Today is Friday the 13th. (cue scary music and hockey mask)

Today's one of my lucky days. It's my "baby's" birthday. He's 12 (when did THAT happen) but will always be the baby.

When I was pregnant with him people would (literally) say to me things like "You're crazy...you have a boy and a girl why would you want another one?" "This was an accident huh?" "Are you gonna find out the sex? You have one of each so who cares what this one is." Then when they found out I was going to pick Michael for a boy, I got "Oh don't do that Michaels are bad" "You will be sorry if you do that" 

Anyone who knows me knows, that the more you tell me I shouldn't the more I want to. So I would tactfully (read...not) put them in their place. I could get away with my replies then because I was "hormonal".

The only person besides those closest to me who either didn't agree about bad Michaels or were smart enough to keep it to themselves, who said something nice was a nurse who came in to my hospital room in the middle of the night the day he was born. 

It was about 3 a.m., the room was dark and quiet except for the TV. I was giving him a bottle ("you should breast feed=don't tell me what to do I this is my third kid give me a bottle"). I was thinking "OK St. Michael Archangel..boss of the angels...you better be on my side here and not let this kid be a maniac." Truly that's how me and St. Michael roll, I talk to him like that. Then she came in to check on us. 

He was happily eating and sleeping at the same time. She asked what his name was and I thought here we go. I said "Michael and please don't tell me I shouldn't have named him that." She laughed. She said "People have been saying that to you huh?" I said "Yep!" She said "Let me tell you something... I am married to a Michael and my oldest son is a Michael. My husband is the best husband in the world..and my son is the light of my life. They drive me nuts sometimes but they love me like no other, they fill my heart everyday and my little Michael makes me proud to be his mom. So don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It take a special mom to be a Mike mom. You will see." And with that she left. I looked down at Michael he had stopped eating and his eyes were wide open. (I believe that's when the nosy busy-body character trait began) and I said "Did you hear that?" He blinked. I said to him "See I knew it!!" He closed his eyes and went back into eat/sleep mode.  I never saw her again while I was in the hospital. I don't know her name. I asked about her but since I didn't have a name they weren't sure who I was talking about. So...nurse? Or nurse angel? I like to think the latter. So, today people may be worrying about walking under ladders or breaking mirrors. I know it's my lucky day. 

This boy who snuck in under the wire of "OK we will give it a year and if we don't get pregnant then so be it", can be the bane of my existence and the joy of my life at the same time, brings light, laughter and noise into our home. He gave me one more shot at Santa, The Tooth Fairy, first day of school and hand print Valentines. He's brought the torture and fun of being "sports parents" into our life. (that is a good thing right??) He's happy, outgoing and smart. (a smart ass too if I am keeping it real) He is the "5" that makes us "The Fab 5".

He still thinks I am the best thing since sliced bread and remembers to tell me that often. 

So happy birthday to my "Lucky Charm". Can't imagine my life without him. Lucky me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

These are our original posts...

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

What's for Dinner?



Grab Our Button

MOMENTUM OF MOTHERHOOD

Grateful Sunday

GRATEFUL SUNDAY

Click It!


Click here and vote for us! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory Proud member of MommyBlogs
Friday Follow

Follow the MOMentum

Feed:

Top food blogs

Blog Archive